I altered a couple of those $1 composition books........I thought the cover needed a little pick-me-up. I used plumber's tape that comes in a roll, embossed it with a cuttlebug embossing folder, colored it with alcohol inks and added nailheads. After doing those steps, I glued it to the book covers. I also did the inside completely. The one with my name on it, I used metal pieces that I colored with alcohol inks from my stash and added the appropriate letters to spell my name.
Here are some watercolor papers that I colored for the signatures of the books. You know I can have any "white" pages anywhere around me.