Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fusible Webbing.....Who Remembered!!!

A while ago, I posted a blurb about making my own vintage cardstock with Collage Pauge and manila folders and old vintage papers to a yahoo group I belong to called Remains of the Day.   There were two people who I don't remember their names (here we are at that memory thing again), related that they used fusible webbing to bond paper and paper and fabric together.  

After much thought, I remember my Mom doing this with fabric and cardstock for her cards. And actually after more thought, I remembered making Christmas cards using this method many many many years ago.   I used Christmas fabric and then added a silk poinsetta to the top of it.   Oh well, they say the memory is the first thing to go........not to worry.   

Well I finally got to Joann's and bought some and tried it again after all these years.   WOW.......I liked it a lot working with the fragile vintage papers......no drying times, no pressing under the large books, etc.     It is just amazing how it re-energizes those old crumbly vintage papers.   You can fuse it to manila folders, fabric, cardstock or put two vintage papers together such as ledger sheets, Sears catalogs, etc.    Once you do that, you can fold it for pages or die cut it, etc.   I think the sky is the limit really.    I will say that the Collage Pauge method and the fusible webbing method really look the same.........the latter is just faster.




This is the front and back of one page.   The paper on the left is very very old and very fragile but once I adhered with fusible webbing to the 1880's ledger page, you can fold them, etc. or make die cuts out of them.



The front and back of one page.   The left is fabric and the right is old ledger paper.



This is a very fragile page from a Montgomery Wards original old catalog adhered to a vintage hanky.



 

This is a vintage piece of linen adhered to a page from a Sears, Roebuck catalog that was very fragile but not now that I used the fusible webbing.   It is really neat how you can see the catalog page through the vintage linen.




I used fusible webbing to adhere two fragile vintage papers together.....one is an original page from a Sears catalog and the other is a page from an 1880's ledger.   This is the front and back of one page.


I hope this gives you some ideas.   The sky is the limit as to what you can do with this.

4 comments:

  1. VERY cool Nancy! I'll have to put that on my list of things to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nancy, for sharing this! I'm going to get some fusible webbing - I have some very old school books (McGuffey's & such) that I really worry about using, the paper's so fragile. Oh, the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a...why didn't I think of that? moment. lol. Terrific idea, and I think I have some heat and bond I'll give a try...GREAT tip, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I'm also taking FTB... think I will use this idea on some of my more fragile pieces. Thanks for the tip! Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. That means a lot to me.