Monday, June 13, 2011

The Principles of English Grammar 1837

This is a little gem of a book.   Dated 1837....New York.   I was going to use it for my artwork but after looking at it at length, I don't think I will be able to cut this one up.  It tells you everything about Nouns, Pronouns, Verbs, Adverbs and Adjectives, etc. and the proper use of them when speaking and writing. 
  
I don't have a clue why this book fascinated me but I think the reason is because it brought back a lot of memories of an English class I had in high school where we diagrammed a million sentences and learned abut the past present and future tenses, etc.  This book is presented in the same manner that this class was.   What was special (well that's one way to describe this experience) about this class was the teacher.   Her name was Miss Fay Sparks.  She was as old as my grandmother.   She had taught my mother at the same high school and you can be sure that I heard about it too when I didn't get the best grade ever.    She reminded me how smart my Mother was, how smart my brothers were, etc. and, of course, she did it in front of the class.  And of course it worked because then I pulled the "A" just to show her that I could if I wanted to.

Here are some pictures of that book which took me back in time.








Who knows, maybe Miss Sparks studied from this book.   LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. That means a lot to me.